- 1 How do you get scratches off a DVD and CD?
- 2 Can you clean scratches off discs?
- 3 What helps with scratches on disc?
- 4 Does Vaseline fix scratched discs?
- 5 Can a scratched DVD still work?
- 6 Does GameStop repair scratched discs?
- 7 Does toothpaste actually fix scratches?
- 8 Why does toothpaste remove scratches?
- 9 How do you fix a disc that won’t read?
- 10 How do you fix a Wii that wont read discs?
- 11 Can you use rubbing alcohol on CDs?
- 12 Does Vaseline remove scratches from plastic?
How do you get scratches off a DVD and CD?
Apply a small dab of white toothpaste or metal polish to a clean, lint-free (ie fluff-free) cloth and rub very gently along the scratch from the disc’s centre outwards. Cover the full length of the scratch, then repeat twice for good measure.
Can you clean scratches off discs?
Use a small dab of the gritty type of toothpaste. The gritty toothpaste can act as a mild abrasive and will remove scratches from the disc. Once you have rubbed the scratch for 60 seconds, put the disc under the faucet and wash off all of the toothpaste. Use a clean soft lint free cloth to dry it once washed.
What helps with scratches on disc?
Incredibly, scratches in the surface of a CD or DVD can be fixed with softened wax! As with the toothpaste fix, you can use shoe polish, lip balm, furniture wax, or even petroleum jelly. Again, rub it into the surface of the disc to fill the scratch. With a lint-free cloth, wipe of the excess wax, with a radial action.
Does Vaseline fix scratched discs?
Instructables highlights a simple tip for making CDs and DVDs with scratches readable again. Simply take a cotton ball and dip it in some alcohol to clean the area near the scratch. Then apply Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly to the disc. The Vaseline will fill in the scratch, hopefully making it readable again.
Can a scratched DVD still work?
Because standard CDs and DVDs have a protective layer, these discs can usually withstand several scratches with no issues. However, a deep scratch or a lot of scratches can cause the disc to not work correctly.
Does GameStop repair scratched discs?
Does GameStop clean discs? GameStop doesn’t resurface discs in the store or do any type of repairs in store. If you have a broken disc or console, we send it to our warehouse in Texas and refurbish it. There is usually a $5 fee when trading in a scratched game to cover the resurfacing cost.
Does toothpaste actually fix scratches?
Yes, toothpaste can remove minor paint scratches. A standard toothpaste (not a gel toothpaste) has a minor grit to it which helps buff out the scratches. Typically, minor scratches are only on the clear coat over your actual paint.
Why does toothpaste remove scratches?
When you gently rub toothpaste onto a slick and smooth surface, it sticks together on any imperfections that exist and softly sands them away, wearing off the uneven surface structure and polishing the surface clean.
How do you fix a disc that won’t read?
If your CD/DVD drive is having trouble recognizing a disc:
- If you know the disc isn’t blank, check whether the data surface is damaged.
- Try a different disc.
- Try the disc in another computer’s drive.
- Try cleaning the drive with a CD/DVD drive cleaning product.
How do you fix a Wii that wont read discs?
What to do
- Eject the problematic disc if it is still in the system.
- Power the system off and ensure it is placed correctly.
- After 30 seconds has passed, power the Wii back on.
- Insert the disc. Be sure to verify you are inserting it correctly.
Can you use rubbing alcohol on CDs?
Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol should be all you need for a clean CD. Mix up a 1 to 1 solution of 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and distilled water (tap or spring water will have minerals in it that can leave water spots). Dip a corner of your cloth into the mixture and gently wipe the CD.
Does Vaseline remove scratches from plastic?
The versatile product Vaseline can remove smaller scratches, simply by gentle application to the scratched area. You should be careful when buffing, as using a material that’s too abrasive could actually do more damage than good.